28 Jun 2011

Rubbish necklace at London Design Festival!


In 2010, Design Bridge, the international branding agency, hosted a Feelosophy exhibition during the London Design Festival. Their staff were invited to submit their interpretations of Clerkenwell, where the agency is based. The reception of their London office was taken over by an installation expressing these interpretations. Sonic ID's Martyn Ware, and former member of 80's pop group Human League, created a soundscape for the exhibition.

Smashed car light, St John Street....
Crisp packets...
My route to work each mornng takes me through sparkling Hatton Gardens - the UK diamond centre. The Festival also coincided with London jewellery week. Coupled with my interest in jewellery, I was intreagued by the amount of domestic and commercial rubbish in this fashionable area. I combined these two themes to produce jewellery crafted from recycled litter!

I scoured the streets, skips and greens of Clerkenwell collecting all sorts of litter and discarded rubbish, cleaned it and then  fashioned the items into a necklace with a display box. I loved this project, apart from opening a matchbox full of maggots!
....all the links combined..
A rubbish necklace!